Logging to heroku papertrail addon from an app on external server

Jagdish

25 Mar, 2013 10:33 AM UTC

Hi,
I'm using heroku for hosting a ruby on rails app with multiple services/ servers.
i have the app server logging to the papertrail addon on heroku.

I also have a server which is running out of the heroku infra
i.e. my chat server (running faye pub/sub messaging on thin server) running on Amazon EC2.

i want to push the logs from the chat server to my heroku's papertrail account.
Please point me to resources which can help.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Troy on 27 Mar, 2013 04:38 PM UTC

Hi Jagdish,

You can definitely set things up to be able to consolidate your Heroku app logs and your chat server logs in a single Papertrail account. Depending on how you have set up your Heroku app you may need to do a few things, though.

You should check out this article on Heroku to get a sense of the two different logging approaches you can take. I am assuming that you are currently using Method 1 (add-on) which is a great approach but won't allow you to log to that Papertrail account from apps that aren't hosted by Heroku.

I would suggest that you switch over to Method 2 which will provide you with a Papertrail account that can be used for as many applications as you need. Once you have set this up, don't forget to remove the Heroku add-on. I'm happy to help with any of this too, either here or in our support chat.

Thanks,

Troy

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Troy on 28 Mar, 2013 12:24 AM UTC

Hi Jagdish,

I unintentionally stripped the HTML links from my reply earlier today, so I wanted to send it with them. The usable reply is below and will probably make a lot more sense.

Hi Jagdish,

You can definitely set things up to be able to consolidate your Heroku app logs and your chat server logs in a single Papertrail account. Depending on how you have set up your Heroku app you may need to do a few things, though.

You should check out this article on Heroku to get a sense of the two different logging approaches you can take. I am assuming that you are currently using Method 1 (add-on) which is a great approach but won't allow you to log to that Papertrail account from apps that aren't hosted by Heroku.

I would suggest that you switch over to Method 2 which will provide you with a Papertrail account that can be used for as many applications as you need. Once you have set this up, don't forget to remove the Heroku add-on. I'm happy to help with any of this too, either here or in our support chat.

Thanks,

Troy

3. This discussion is closed. Please email support@papertrailapp.com to continue troubleshooting this or a related problem.