Logging to heroku papertrail addon from an app on external server

jagdish

25 Mar, 2013 10:33 AM

Hi,
I'm using heroku for hosting a ruby on rails app with multiple services/ servers.
i have the app server logging to the papertrail addon on heroku.

I also have a server which is running out of the heroku infra
i.e. my chat server (running faye pub/sub messaging on thin server) running on Amazon EC2.

i want to push the logs from the chat server to my heroku's papertrail account.
Please point me to resources which can help.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Troy on 27 Mar, 2013 04:38 PM

Hi Jagdish,

You can definitely set things up to be able to consolidate your Heroku app logs and your chat server logs in a single Papertrail account. Depending on how you have set up your Heroku app you may need to do a few things, though.

You should check out this article on Heroku to get a sense of the two different logging approaches you can take. I am assuming that you are currently using Method 1 (add-on) which is a great approach but won't allow you to log to that Papertrail account from apps that aren't hosted by Heroku.

I would suggest that you switch over to Method 2 which will provide you with a Papertrail account that can be used for as many applications as you need. Once you have set this up, don't forget to remove the Heroku add-on. I'm happy to help with any of this too, either here or in our support chat.

Thanks,

Troy

2. Support Staff 3 Posted by Troy on 28 Mar, 2013 12:24 AM

Hi Jagdish,

I unintentionally stripped the HTML links from my reply earlier today, so I wanted to send it with them. The usable reply is below and will probably make a lot more sense.

Hi Jagdish,

You can definitely set things up to be able to consolidate your Heroku app logs and your chat server logs in a single Papertrail account. Depending on how you have set up your Heroku app you may need to do a few things, though.

You should check out this article on Heroku to get a sense of the two different logging approaches you can take. I am assuming that you are currently using Method 1 (add-on) which is a great approach but won't allow you to log to that Papertrail account from apps that aren't hosted by Heroku.

I would suggest that you switch over to Method 2 which will provide you with a Papertrail account that can be used for as many applications as you need. Once you have set this up, don't forget to remove the Heroku add-on. I'm happy to help with any of this too, either here or in our support chat.

Thanks,

Troy

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac